Closing date - 07 December 2023
Salary - £50-55,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
Head of Events (Commercial) - maternity cover Job Pack - download here
Please note this is a 12-month fixed term maternity cover role
As we take on a year-round programme at our new venue - Aviva Studios, we're looking for an exceptional leader to plan and deliver our commercial events sales strategy. This person will take central ownership, contribute to and execute strategies for growth across the venue and will be accountable for venue activations, sales and line management of the event sales team. As Head of Events, you will become a critical part of the team, leading the commercial events programme across consumer and trade expos, through to e-sport, product launches, fashion and branded entertainment experiences to conferences.
Reporting to Head of Commercial Operations and Partnerships and partnering with our scheduling and producing departments, you will drive exceptional events within Aviva Studios, that mirror the organisations creativity, while providing valuable commercial revenue.
Aviva Studios is currently undergoing a significant period of organisational change as we grow and develop to operate a year round venue. This is an incredibly exciting time to join, offering opportunities to implement creative ideas, evolve your networks and develop new processes and pathways whilst authentically applying yourself and your experience to this role, in the newest arts, cultural and events venue in Manchester!
We are made up of people who are passionate and dedicated to creating incredible events and experiences for audiences and clients to enjoy with a lasting impact. We are a tight knit team full of supportive, talented people who are constantly pushing forward.
The key responsibilities for the Head of Events (Commercial) role include;
- Leading the sales team and commercial event strategy, providing expertise and being responsible for revenue growth and sales. Identifying, strategizing and delivering new commercial event opportunities. Ensuring sales targets are achieved and KPIs are constantly monitored based on metrics adopted across the business plan and associated Profit & Loss (P&L)
- Deliver a world-leading programmes that pushes the boundaries and deliver internationally renowned experiences at Aviva Studios. Delivering in corporate and creative sectors and ensuring a balance of public vs private events. Work with a range of agencies to deliver specialist experiences across e-sports, fashion, urban sports and branded entertainment (often utilising in-house and external production capabilities)
- Supporting the sales team with converting and negotiating multiyear and high value contracts and the management of key high value clients as and when required
- Develop ideas and deliver marketing and B2B comms plans to raise and drive awareness of the hire product within Aviva Studios. Evidence based and data drive marketing strategies. From designing and preparing sales materials, client proposals to press plans and Industry events, across our local, national and international markets
- Ensuring the highest standards of sales operations for the spaces are established and met. Working closely with the Scheduling, Producing and Technical teams to ensure that commercial events work seamlessly within the venue. Ensure compliance with venue policies including use of accredited suppliers, health & safety regulations and adherence to the premises license conditions
- Data and reporting including the management and tracking of KPIs, budgeting and forecasting
- Reporting the relevant figures to Finance in terms of forecasting and reconciliation to the senior leadership team
- Working with the accounts team to reconcile P&Ls month to month.
- Providing reports to line manager and senior leadership when required
- Managing People/HR proceedings as required
- Identifying training needs and guiding team development, working with the line manager and leadership team
- Creating a work environment that aligns with Factory International values and principles
The person specification for the Head of Events (Commercial) role is;
- A proven track record of contributing and executing sales strategies for complex, multifaceted venues, in a leadership role
- Previous experience of managing, influencing and inspiring teams across venues that consist of sales and operations professionals
- Can demonstrate commerciality through experience of selling profitably, sales negotiations, maximising sales, achieving targets and writing sales strategies
- Demonstrable knowledge of the local venue market and key venue finding agents
- Experience of producing, managing and delivering a venue budget, P+Ls and financial reports in conjunction with finance teams
- Strong understanding of how to intelligently collaborate with marketing, brand and venue leaders to deliver evidence based marketing strategies
- Ability to set, manage and monitor targets and KPIs for teams of sales management professionals
- Ability to successfully manage multiple venue projects simultaneously through effective prioritisation and multi-tasking
- A positive and proactive approach to your work
- Excellent communication skills - you need to be great at communication to a wide range of people
- Commitment to championing representation and inclusion at every level of the organisation with a proven ability to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Strong communication and collaboration skills: you liaise with all levels of the wider business teams across the organisation
- ‘Can do’ attitude, with the proactivity, flexibility and resilience required to deliver results
- Able to maintain a welcoming, caring and collaborative mindset, in high-pressure scenarios
- Enthusiasm for training, mentoring and support of emerging talent